· 1.5 Litres (6-8 cups) duck stock or chicken stock.
· 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
· 1 large brown onion, halved and diced
· 1 ripe tomato, diced
· 2 cups Arborio rice
· 4 whole porcini mushrooms (can substitute with normal mushrooms)
· 70g (1/2 cup) frozen or fresh peas
· ¼ cup cream
· 2 whole Wild Roasted ducks( shredded)
· Salt & freshly ground black pepper
· ¼ cup grated parmesan
· 1 whole orange zest (optional)
· ¼ bunch flat leaf parsley (chopped)
· 10 grams butter
Roasting the Duck
1. Pre heat oven to 200/220c.
2. Dry the duck with paper towel for a crispier skin. (if possible leave duck uncovered in refrigerator to dry skin out for a few hours)
3. Ensure the end of the duck is open to allow even cooking (if cooking whole)
Never stuff the duck as it prevents even cooking ,instead place your herbs, zest of orange or garlic inside the cavity for a nice aroma while the duck is cooking.
4. Place duck on a roasting tray.
5. Season with sea salt, freshly ground pepper and (some olive oil, optional)
6. Roast until golden brown then remove duck from oven and leave to rest for 20 mins.
7. Separate bone from duck meat and shred or dice.
Place stock in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until needed
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add brown onion, and mushrooms. Cook stirring for 3 minutes or until softened and translucent but not coloured. Add rice. Cook stirring for 2 minutes or until rice is hot. Add two ladles of hot stock to the rice, Bring to the boil. Cook stirring for 3 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Add a pinch of salt and pepper at this stage, reduce heat to low. Add 1 ladle stock to rice. Cook stirring until liquid has absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock mixture, 1 ladle at a time until rice is cooked.
Step 4 Stir in grated parmesan, diced tomato, chopped parsley, orange zest, roasted duck pieces, peas, cream, and salt and pepper, Serve immediately with shaved parmesan on top